Date Time

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Another Haunt (Updated 2/13/15)


Here is a new display I created for the third in the series of Witch Hollow "Toads & Frogs Witchcraft Haunt".


As always I enjoy adding props to my displays. For my backdrop I found this cool vintage reproduction sign of the Harvest Moon Brand Soups. You can get this sign at http://www.kpcreek.com for $10.99. Also the battery operated candles are available in a veriety of colors, styles and sizes there as well. The three star stands I got at http://www.thecountrystore.com. The berry branches at the top of the display and around the candle cups are candle rings you can get at your local craft store.



To get the marshy look for the building base i used the scraping technique by scraping the surface of the styrofoam with a steak knife. I then applied the base with a layer of Earth Blend Turf T1350 purchased at http://www.woodlandscenics.com. You can get this at any hobby store as well. The wire fence posts are sculpted out of Balsa Wood. The wire is the green floral wire painted silver.





For the potions drawers (in which i misspelled potions on one of the labels) i created ingredient labels on my computer. Using my Hot Wire Foam Factory Hot Knife i burned the edges of the paper to give it an aged look. You could use a fine tip soldering iron or wood burner as well. If you have been designing displays for some time you may have heard the term 'Happy Accidents'. These are things that happen to your display that you never intended to do, but it comes out looking really great. In my case the lettering and graphics were meant to be printed in black, but my ink ran out and came out in a faded gray with a little bit of a faded red boarder. This added to the aged look of the labels which made it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment